Top Tips for Your First Visit to Portugal
Updated: Dec 16, 2022
You'll be pleasantly surprised if you’re considering a trip to Portugal. Knowing what to see and the local customs of restaurants will help you feel confident. My insider tips can help make your first visit to Portugal go smoothly.
This southern European country certainly doesn’t lack natural or architectural beauty. It’s no wonder you have the desire to visit Portugal. There’s a never-ending number of things to do and see. So, where should you even begin? Here are some top recommendations for visiting this magnificent nation for the first time.
Top Tips For Your First Visit To Portugal
What places should I check out? Well, Portugal is a relatively small country. It leaves you wanting to come back again and again. We recommend not overwhelming yourself on your first visit to Portugal by trying to see it all.
What happens is you only end up spending a short time in each city. You could spend a whole week in just Lisbon. Portugal has more to offer besides monasteries, churches, and beaches. Immerse yourself in the culture of cities and small towns.
As the capital of Portugal, Lisbon is full of vibrant culture, historical sights, and friendly natives. Also, Lisbon is an ideal place to take delight in authentic Portuguese cuisine and enjoy live entertainment. Listen to some of the best Portuguese folk music! Lisbon is known for its traditional Fado performances.
One of the most stunning Gothic churches in Europe. Upon entering the church, you’ll notice its stunning 16th-century stained glass windows and architectural details. Due to its significance, the church preserve is a World Heritage Monument.
The Abbey of Santa Maria
The most significant building of the Cistercian order in Europe, wander through this historical site for hours if you wish. There’s certainly a lot to see, including a monastery, seven dorms, a library, a kitchen, and the church.
You can enter the church for free, but the monastery costs 6 euros each. I think it’s well worth the admission price to see the Hall of the Kings (19 statues remain), the Refractory, and the Monks’ Dormitory. In Chapter Cloister, the dormitory occupies the entire first floor.
We also saw many other monasteries on our trip to Portugal in 2019, including Batalha. A combo ticket for 15€ will save you money if you visit more attractions.
Portugal’s coastline provides some of the most breathtaking beaches in the world. Algarve beaches include Sagres, Aveiro, and Praia da Adraga. Don’t be afraid to take a breather from your explorations and relax on the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf Stream shorelines.
What are some of the most popular dishes and foods?
When you sit down at a table, waiters often bring you a little dish of olives, bread, cheese, or meats. These are not free. So send them back so you don’t get charged. Try a glass of Vinho Verde (green wine) with the delicious food, or finish your meal with a glass of port.
1. Arroz de Cabidela It might seem daunting once you know what this dish derives from, but this chicken blood rice is a native favorite in Portugal. You can also get this dish made with rabbit and rabbit blood.
2. Alheira This delightful lunch includes sausage, typically prepared with french fries and fried eggs.
3. Bacalhau A Bras Cod is shredded, sauteed to perfection, and served with onion, straw-fried potatoes, eggs, parsley, and garlic.
4. Arroz Doce As an authentic Portuguese dessert, this dish is a must-try for anyone with a sweet tooth. This creamy rice pudding is topped with cinnamon and caramel custard to add a burst of flavor.
5. Caldo Verde On a chilly night, treat yourself to this fantastic soup. It’s merely potato, onions, and shredded kale, cooked in garlic and olive oil, and yet it certainly doesn’t lack in flavor!
6. Pastel de nata Originating in Lisbon, this custard tart is an indigenous staple, and you can’t leave the country without trying it.
Now that you have some of our top tips for your first trip to Portugal let’s start planning your stay! You’ll be amazed by the nation’s delicious food options and breathtaking sights!